What’s The Wave Start?
It’s pretty simple actually. Instead of everyone taking off at once, we divide everyone into 26 waves. They’re organized by people’s expected pace so that everyone can run with people their own speed. Waves start with the fastest runners, then go to slower runners, then joggers, then walkers.
Do All Waves Require Qualifying? No!
The FORTitude 10K is open to everyone. We want you to run, jog, or walk at your speed. Only the first 6-8 waves require a qualification time — these are designed and reserved for runners who will finish faster than 68 minutes. Use your BolderBOULDER, your ColderBOLDER time, or provide any other race results within 12 months of the FORTitude 10K, and we’ll place you in the fastest wave possible. It’s important to register according to your anticipated pace. All other waves are open to everyone on a first-come, first-serve basis.
How Do I Pick What Wave To Be In?
When you register, you just pick which type of wave you think you belong, qualify, run, jog, or walk. We’ll automatically put you in a the wave that is right for you.
Can I Start With Friends or Family? Yes.
To be in the same start wave as someone else, register everyone online or in person at the same time. In the appropriate field, enter their name. Qualifying rules still apply, and everyone in your group will be placed based upon the slowest person’s wave time.
Can I Change Waves Once I Register? Yes.
If you want to change waves or run in a qualified wave, we can make that happen, assuming there are still bibs available in the wave you want. For $10, bib changes can be done at the solutions tent on race day or through our race office. To request a bib change, please email us. Keep in mind that you won’t be allowed to move up to a faster wave on race day.
How Do I Enter a Qualified Wave If I Want To?
1. Use your time from any race distance between two miles and a marathon within 12 months of the FORTitude 10K. We’ll place you in the fastest wave possible.
2 Use your BolderBOULDER time from this year’s or last year’s race. Anyone who finished the BolderBOULDER faster than 62 minutes automatically gets in a qualified wave.
3. Use your ColderBOLDER time from last year’s race. Anyone who finished the ColderBOLDER 5K faster than 32:38 automatically gets in a qualified wave.
4. Run a Treadmill qualifying test. After completion of your two mile treadmill test we will bib you in the appropriate qualifying wave and send your packet to the pick up location of your choice – questions? email email@example.com
Can I submit my race to be a qualifier? Yes!
Any timed road race over 2 miles that posts results online can apply to be a FORTitude qualifier race.
As a qualifier race, you agree to promote your event as a qualifier for the FORTitude in at least two social media posts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All qualifier races will be promoted on FORTitude social pages two weeks before your event.
What other races can be used to qualify?
Any timed race over two miles completed within one year of the upcoming FORTitude gets you in a qualified wave. Find a race near you!
- Oskar Blues Old Man Winter Rally
- Spring Fling Prairie Dog Half/10k/5k
- Sharin’ O’ the Green
- Canyonlands Half Marathon and 5 Mile Run
- All-Out Spring Fever
- Six Pack Series
- Hams and Hamstrings 5K
- 8th Annual Frank Shorter RACE4Kids’ Health 5K
- All-Out Beat the Heat
- Miles for Mental Health
- Raptor Run 5K
- Hope House 5k and Fun Run
- Colorado Women’s Classic
FORTitude Qualifying Times
You can check out the FORTitude qualifying times here.
Photo by John Wark